Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Go-To Cake


A friend of mine made this cake for her son's first birthday party and it haunted me. I am usually not a fan of chocolate cake, for some reason. Usually, I am strictly a white cake gal. But this cake was remarkable. Totally flavorful and moist. I had to have the recipe. And to my surprise, she readily handed it over. She got it from a cookbook called "The Cake Mix Doctor" and it is called Darn Good Chocolate Cake. I have made it about 30 times in the past 3 years and that is a conservative estimate. I serve it many different ways. One favorite is with whipped cream frosting with fresh summer berries and a chocolate ganache frosting. (KNOCK OUT!) I also am fond of making it with bananas. The other way that I have enjoyed it is with a marscapone whipped cream frosting and hazzlenut brittle... soooooo good. My husband's favorite is when I use the recipe to make cupcakes and top them with chocolate cream cheese frosting and berries. The secret to this mix is the addition of sour cream and chocolate chips. If you want to knock someone's socks off, this is the cake for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment